Friday, September 11, 2009

9.11.

It seems like yesterday that it was 9.11. I have such a lasting impression of that day and some of the days that followed. Here is my account of how I found out about the Terrorist Attacks on America. Being 45 minutes outside of NYC, it felt so close to home and very scary.

I worked at Wal-Mart and was just pulling into the the parking lot for work.WBLI cut into a song and said that a 'small plane' has hit one of the towers. I walked in and mentioned it to a few people as I was clocking in.
As I started my job at courtesy desk, the TV's in the store changed from the wal-mart tv (advertisements) to CNN. That is when it seemed like time stopped. Customers were glued, as were associates to the TV's. I stayed through my shift. The fire department came in what seemed like 30 minutes later took ALL of the bottled water in the store as well as batteries and flash lights. The Manager on duty wanted to take inventory of what they were taking but the other associates yelled that it didn't matter.. it seemed to us that it wasn't important what the cost of what they needed was, just that we GIVE it to them. He agreed and we piled things everywhere we could on their trucks and cars heading toward the city.
My mom had a major surgery at Good Sam in Babylon/West Islip the day before, she had some complications and was still in recovery. They moved her to a room because they were prepping for all the people that they were going to be bringing in from the towers.... :forlorn: but no one ever came.

No comments: